Monday, December 18, 2017

Semester Review

Videos Made Over the Semester 

PSA

The PSA was about suicide and was made to show that you are never alone and should always seek help from friends or those you can trust. The story behind it was done very well and had good cinematography. It didn't take a long time to create the short film and was made very quickly. I learned how to work people who are not very open and don't like to work with others very well. Some of the feedback that was given was for the edits. The story was good, the cinematography was good, and the acting was played very well. We went back and changed the flow of the short film so that it made it better to follow and made it much more interesting and hard-hitting. This video was pretty good but if it was under my direction I would've done it much differently, relying on more visual storytelling to show a story of someone struggling with suicide. 

Short Film

The film we crated was taken down due to copyright but the video was a basic short that featured a stalker and someone who has to fight him off. It was shorter than what you'd consider a short film and was very simplistic. This was very different from my short film that I wanted to create which featured more drawn out characters and set pieces but was not able to be created due to problems with actors not being able to show up. We had very short time to work around it and did the best we could to make a new short film that would work. 

Time in Class

I used most of my time in class trying to learn more about filmography and different techniques that can improve my film making. When we were not doing anything with our projects I was watching videos that would help me create a better story in films. I didn't have much to do with the post-production with most of my projects and usually stuck to pre- production and production, so many times I watched videos to help me further my production values and worked with the post-production team. When I wasn't in class I would work on client work or continue to research ways to improve my films. I would also write out my film ideas and try to create a more comprehensive story. 

Areas of Strength

I would consider some of my strengths to be through my story telling ability and telling a very advanced story that is played out well and has emotion and feeling to it. My visual story telling is also very good. I use these to create an interesting story that can keep people entertained.

Areas of Improvement

I could use some improvement in my editing skills. IN the break from school, I did not work on any projects over the summer. I lost most of my editing skills and forgot how to use editing software. 

Learning From Guest Speakers

We had 2 different guest speakers in class that had a lot of knowledge to share with us. The first speaker provided experience of working with a larger production team and working on professional projects. The other speaker provided more experience on working on projects yourself and building yourself up on your own. 

MX4D

We took a field trip to a 4D cinema one day, which was a very interesting experience. MX4D technology has sensory enhancements (Movement, smell, air, water, lights, fog, etc.) that go along with what film is being shown. We saw Justice League and the 4D technology hindered the film more than help the film. The smells were very bad and there were strobe lights that were not needed. There were some movements that were not needed and there were many missed opportunities missed with any Aquaman scenes. 

Final Thoughts 

For next semester I plan on creating many more films and working as a gaffer in our class feature film. I've already learned a lot about cinematography this year and I am ready to apply it to next years films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment